After a week of being out of town, I was really ready to sit on my couch and veg this weekend. So, when I got home, I turned on the tube and relaxed. About 3 minutes into Bob’s Burgers, I realized I needed the full veg out experience. So, I walked over to the pantry to see what I could find.
I looked into the deepest, darkest corners of the pantry but, sure enough, we were out snacks! Luckily, I had some potatoes. Normally when I make chips I fry them. However, I was in no mood to make that kind of mess. So, I took it upon myself to whip up my own version of BBQ chips.
This was my first time baking potato chips but, all in all, they turned out well. If I did it over again I would cut them with a mandolin slicer instead of a knife but we lost our mandolin slicer in our last move and haven’t had a use for one until today. I took some liberties with a recipe I found on Home Cooking Adventure so tell me what you think!
Baked Potato Chips
- Arty’s Party Rub or salt and pepper.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Potato
- Cold Water
- Baking Sheet
- Tin Foil
- Large Bowl
- Knife or Mandolin Slicer
- Paper Towels
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place cold water into the bowl and set it aside.
- Slice the potato into chips approximately 1/8″ thick. They will cook more evenly if they are all the same thickness.
- After slicing, place the potato slices into the cold water and mix them around getting as much starch off as possible.
- Pat down the potato slices and empty the bowl of water. Add the oil to the bowl and place the potato slices back in and mix around coating the potatoes with the oil.
- Line the baking sheet with tin foil and place the potato slices in a single layer and cover one side in dry rub or salt and pepper. Use more than one baking sheet if needed and rotate the sheets half way through cooking.
- Place the baking sheet(s) in the oven and cook for 10-20 min or until chips are golden brown.
- Eat Chips